Dangers of Chocolate

valentinedogAs Valentine’s Day approaches, you may be giving or receiving that favorite treat, chocolate. You know who else loves chocolate?  Your dog!! But as much as they love it, we don’t love what it does to them.

Chocolate is one of those things that reminds us that dogs are not little people. If they were, it would just make them fat when they ate too much. But instead, chocolate is comprised of methylxanthines(gratuitous medical term) which causes dog’s hearts to race to a dangerously high level even leading to death.

Some are worse than others. Dark chocolate and baking chocolate are notoriously bad and although not great, white chocolate tends to be a bit less toxic. If your dog gets into chocolate, this is what you need to do:

1)remain calm and call us if we are closed you can call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-4ANI-HEL(P)

2)we are going to want to know when they ate it, what kind of chocolate and how much

3)it is always a good idea to have hydrogen peroxide around, but don’t do anything with it unless told to by a medical professional. The thirty seconds it takes to call us will NOT affect the outcome. The advice you get WILL.

Be safe, be educated, and have a great Valentine’s Day.

Dr. Huffman and all of your friends at Orchard Road Animal Hospital (Montgomery, IL)

Advertisements